How to maintain results from teeth whitening treatment
A bright, dazzling smile is a wonderful asset, and we offer two effective, convenient ways to help you achieve yours. Whether you choose in-office or at-home whitening, you have the same ability to remove stains and reveal gorgeous white teeth. The only difference between the two methods is timing, which comes down to personal preference.
As important as the whitening procedure itself is the maintenance of results. Teeth whitening, though highly effective, is not a permanent treatment. Due to dietary choices, stains can recur over time. Not to worry, in addition to providing options for touch-up teeth whitening treatments, your dentist in Vernon Hills, SmileMoreToday offers tips on how to maintain your brightest smile.
- Flossing after brushing is crucial to the prevention of gum disease. This activity, however, also promotes a beautiful, bright smile by removing stray food debris and tiny particles that could cause stains from between teeth.
- Teeth receive a natural cleaning with the consumption of crunchy fruits and vegetables such as cauliflower, apples, and celery. Eating such foods can minimize the risk of plaque buildup.
- Saliva is necessary to moisten the mouth, and also to dilute sugary and stain-causing substances. Saliva production is encouraged by chewing xylitol containing gum. This sugar-free gum also makes it difficult for bacteria to stick to enamel.
- Foods that promote the remineralization of enamel build strong teeth, which are more stain resistant. Foods like mild and yogurt are excellent choices for building strong enamel.
- Home teeth whitening remedies such as the use of lemons or baking soda should be avoided. Substances that are abrasive or acidic actually cause harm to teeth and increase the risk of future stains, not to mention tooth decay.
- A good rule of thumb for dietary choices is that if a food could stain a white shirt, it can also stain enamel. It is virtually impossible to avoid any food that could stain teeth. What you can do, however, is brush teeth or rinse the mouth after consuming foods that may cause stains. If possible, drinks such as tea or soda should be consumed through a straw in order to minimize exposure to staining molecules.
- Regular dental care and cleanings removes plaque buildup and polishes teeth, keeping them bright and healthy.
Enjoy your best smile as well as outstanding dental care at SmileMoreToday. Contact us our Vernon Hills office to schedule your visit today.